Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question about Here you'll find answers to some of more of the popular questions that we receive.

I have not received my documents

Your policy is sent to the email address you provide us. Please note that some internet providers filter out automated emails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the email has not been received. If you haven’t received the certificate please email us at or call us on 01293 855787 to it send again.

Alternatively for a small postage charge, your documents can be sent by 1st class post.

Am I covered if I need emergency medical treatment and get sent to a private facility?

This is not a private health insurance policy. The Insurer will pay for private treatment only if there is no appropriate reciprocal health agreement in existence and no public service available and the Insurer reserves the right to organise a transfer from a private medical facility to a public medical facility where appropriate.

 If you are taken/or go to a private medical facility, costs that arise will only be covered if you have contacted  the emergency medical assistance company and any treatment has been authorised by them.

Is it better value to take out travel insurance individually or as a couple, family or group? offers travel insurance to all of the above variations, however we do offer discounts to families & single parent families.

Now get covered with our Single Trip Travel Insurance or Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance.

Can we travel independently on our Couple/Family travel insurance policy?

Each adult can travel independently, but children must travel with an insured adult.

How many children can I insure on a family policy?

Up to four (4) dependent children under the age of 18.

How many times can I travel on my Annual Multi trip Insurance?

You can travel as many times as you wish on your annual multi trip insurance (the area is dependant on the type of policy you have purchased. The annual insurance can be purchased for Europe, Worldwide excluding USA and Canada or Worldwide which allows you to travel anywhere in the world).

You need to take into consideration the length of time that you are travelling.  Any individual trip must not exceed 31 days. If your trip is longer than 31 days you will need to purchase a single trip policy to cover that period.

Simply add these extensions on during the ‘tailor you policy’ stage of our simple quote process. If you already have a policy and need to upgrade to increase the maximum trip duration simply call our UK call centre 01293 855787.

I forgot to take travel insurance before I left the U.K can I still be covered?

Unfortunately you can not be covered if you have left the UK.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

Please ensure that you take a copy of your certificate of insurance and a copy of the full policy wording - these documents contain important numbers that you may require whilst travelling.

Lost Passport?

You should report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification form. You should also report the loss or theft to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office. You can obtain details of your local FCO office wherever you are by calling +44 (0) 20 7008 1500 or by visiting the FCO website. The FCO will issue you with replacement travel documents so that you can travel back to the UK.

What do I do in the event of my Travel Agent/Tour Operator/Airline Company going into administration?

Unfortunately there is no cover under this policy if your Travel Agent or Tour Operator go into administration, if they are an ABTA member you will can submit a claim to them for the cost of your holiday.

If you have booked each component part of your holiday separately (flight, accommodation, car hire) and one of these companies goes into administration you can put in a claim on your travel insurance policy. 

What happens if my bag is stolen with all my travel documents and money whilst I am travelling?

You must report theft or losses to the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of the event and obtain a written report. These reports are the only proof that the loss/theft did actually occur. Without them the insurer cannot make any payment to you. If you leave luggage and personal items unattended in a public place then the insurer cannot be held responsible for any resultant claim. You should always take reasonable care to look after your property and treat it as if it were not insured. There is no cover for cash or valuables left in an unattended vehicle between the hours of 9pm and 9am even if the vehicle is locked.

Am I covered if Strike/Industrial action occurs?

If departure from or to the United Kingdom (final international departure point only) is delayed for at least 12 hours from the scheduled time of departure as a result of strike or industrial action the Insurer will compensate you as follows:

  • Travel Delay: The amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for the first full 12 hour period of delay, up to the maximum amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, provided always that you obtain in writing from the carrier a statement confirming the length and exact nature of the delay.
  • Abandonment: If you choose to cancel your trip following a delay of not less than 12 hours beyond the scheduled departure time (and written confirmation obtained from the carrier), the Insurer will indemnify you up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for Cancellation.

Geographical Limits

Does cover non UK residents? policies are only available to residents of the UK or Isle of Man who are registered with a medical practitioner.

Am I covered to travel within the UK?

You are covered for trips in the UK providing you have at least two consecutive nights pre-booked accommodation.

What countries are covered by

The geographical limits are:


Means England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man except under Geographical Limits where Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are considered to be part of Europe.


Means Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Azores, Balearics, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Corfu, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Eire (Republic of Ireland), Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Holland (Netherlands), Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Kos (Greek Island), Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Mediterranean Islands, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rhodes, Romania, Russia (West of the Ural Mountains), San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City.

Australia and New Zealand

Includes cover for Europe as well as Australia and New Zealand.

Worldwide, excluding USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico

Means anywhere in the world except the USA, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Worldwide, including USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico

Means anywhere in the world

Can I upgrade my policy?

Yes, you can upgrade your policy at any time, except to add on an Excess Waiver or the Optional Gadget Cover. Please contact one of our friendly members of staff on 01293 855787. We will charge an administration fee of £5 if you require an amendment to your policy once it has been purchased.

What do I do in the event of travelling to more than one country?

There are 2 options; you can purchase a single trip policy for the period you are away for, so for example if you are travelling to Spain and then Brazil you would select the Worldwide Excluding policy. However if you're going to Spain and then on to the Caribbean for a few days, you would need to purchase Worldwide Including.

Alternatively you could purchase a Worldwide annual multi-trip policy to cover trips going to multiple areas.

Which area would I need to purchase if travelling to Egypt?

For this destination you would purchase the Worldwide Excluding policy.

Policy & Purchase Details

How can I purchase travel insurance from you?

You can purchase our policies online or alternatively you can call one of our friendly members of staff in our UK call centre on 01293 855787 and they will help you tailor a policy to suit your needs.

What is the difference between Economy, Standard and Premier Cover?

These are the different levels of cover offered under this policy. Economy offers the least cover, with the highest excess for the cheapest premium. Standard offers a wider range of cover at higher levels with a reasonable excess and is priced reasonably. Premier cover provides the widest range of cover and the highest levels of protection for you and requires you to pay the least amount of excess. As a result Premier cover is the more expensive choice.

What ages do I enter to obtain a quote?

Please enter the age at the time of purchase.

When do I start my policy from?

At the time of booking your travel arrangements to ensure you have adequate cancellation cover for that trip. 

How can I pay for my Travel Insurance?

You can pay online using our secure system where all data is encrypted. We hold your details according to current Data Protection legislation.

If you do not feel comfortable online then you can call one of our friendly staff in our UK call centre on 01293 855787 and they will help you with your policy.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Maestro/Switch, Solo, Visa Electron, Delta and American Express.

What are my Cancellation Rights?

You have the right to cancel your policy within 14 days of the purchase providing there are no claims pending on the policy and you haven’t already travelled.

Can I change my policy once I have purchased it?

You are able to upgrade the policy to a different geographical limit, add winter sports cover, cruise cover or even extend the duration upon payment of an additional premium subject to terms and conditions. However once the policy has been purchased you are then unable to add an excess waiver or add the Optional Gadget Cover Upgrade to the policy.

Can I update my details?

If you need to change names and/or your address, please contact us on 01293 855787.

Can I extend my stay whilst away?

Unfortunately, you are unable to extend your policy whilst you are away; therefore you need to ensure that you are purchasing the correct policy. However if due to unforeseen circumstances such as the flight being cancelled or delayed due to no fault of your own, the policy will be automatically extended for you.

Am I covered for Cancellation?

You are covered for the cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wording. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

What is a policy Excess?

Most sections of the policy carry an Excess and this works exactly the same as car insurance. This is the first amount of any claim that you will have to pay. The amount may vary depending on the level of cover you have chosen. It is applicable per person per section of the policy. If we agree to a claim for medical expenses which has been reduced by you using an EHIC you will not have to pay the excess amount under the Medical Expenses section.


What is the Maximum Age you can insure up to?

For Single Trip policies we insure up to 85 – should you require a single trip and you over 85 then please contact our call centre team on 01293 855787 and they will help you. Or visit now for a great value quote including the option to add pre-existing medical conditions.

For Annual multi-trip policies we insure ages up to 75 - should you require an Annual multi-trip and are over 75 then please contact our call centre team on 01293 855787 and they will help you. Or visit now for a great value quote including the option to add pre-existing medical conditions.

Winter Sports - 64 years at time of purchasing your insurance.

What is classed as a UK resident?

This policy is only available to you if you are permanently a resident in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and registered with a medical practitioner in one of these areas.

Can non UK residents be covered under your policy?

No, only UK residents can purchase the policy.

Medical and Health

Does cover Pre-existing Medical Conditions?

You will not be covered under this policy for any claims arising directly or indirectly from a pre-existing medical condition unless it is shown on the waived condition list in the policy wording or it has been declared to us and accepted by us in writing for cover. Call us on 01293 855945, to declare your pre-existing conditions and confirm if cover is available.

How much Medical Cover does offer? offers a range of policies to suit everyone’s needs. Our policies cover up to a comprehensive £10 million for Medical Emergency and Repatriation.

Am I covered if I am Pregnant?

Yes, cover is provided for complications of pregnancy. Pregnancy itself is not deemed to be an illness or pre existing medical condition. Cover will only arise if a complication of pregnancy occurs. Please refer to the meaning of words in the policy wording for the definition of complications of pregnancy. Please note that if the due date coincides with the time of travel there is no cover under this policy.

Emergencies and Claims

What do I do if I need medical assistance when travelling?

You must contact the Medical Emergency team before you incur any expenses over £500. If you are unable to contact them immediately then you (or someone representing you) must contact them within 48 hours of the event.

In the event of an emergency please contact International Medical Rescue on 00 44 (0) 2380 644633, quoting your policy number.

How do I make a claim?

In the event that you need to make a claim, please contact International Medical Rescue on 02380 177469, or visit to submit a claim online.

Sports & Activities – including Golf

Does cover sports?

Your Insurance automatically covers you for the following activities:

Beach games
Cycling (no tours)
Fell walking, rambling and trekking (up to 2,000 metres altitude)
Ice-skating (rink only)
Mountain Biking (excluding competition)
Parascending (towed by boat)
Racket Ball Rafting, canoeing and kayaking
Roller skating
Rounders Scuba diving (to 18 metres)
Snooker, pool and billiards
Swimming (in pool or on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land)
Table tennis
Water Polo
Water-skiing (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land)
Windsurfing (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land)
Yachting, boating, sailing and rowing (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land)

Please see the policy wording for the full list of activities that are covered by the policy.

If you are partaking in a sport or activity that you do not see listed in the policy wording then please contact our friendly Customer Services Team on 01293 855787 and they will assist you.

What does no cover in respect of personal accident and personal liability mean?

Personal Accident - No cover will apply, if you suffer Accidental Bodily Injury during the Trip, which within 12 months is the sole and direct cause of death or disablement.

Personal Liability - No cover will apply, if in the course of a Trip you become liable for accidental bodily injury to or the death of, any person and/or accidental loss of or damage to their property.

Am I Covered for Scuba Diving?

Yes, you are covered for scuba diving at no additional premium on policies up to 18m, within the terms and conditions of sports and activities.

Now get covered with our Single Trip Travel Insurance or Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance.

Winter Sports

What age can I get winter sports cover up to?

Provided you are 64 or under, you can purchase our Winter Sports upgrade at the tailor your policy stage of our quote process. Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

What activities are covered for winter sports?

Provided you have paid the Winter Sports upgrade, you are covered for: ski equipment, piste closure, avalanche cover and ski pass cover

Bob Sleighing 

Cross Country Skiing 


Dog Sledging 

Dry Slope Skiing 

Heli Skiing 



Skiing, Big Foot 


Snow Boarding 

Snow Kiting 

Snow Mobiling 

Snow Shoeing 


On-piste snowboarding, skiing, snow-cat skiing, mono-skiing and ski bobbing are included. Also included is Off-piste skiing and snowboarding but only if you are accompanied by a qualified instructor or guide.

Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

How many days winter sports cover do I have?

On a single trip policy you will have cover for the duration of your trip if you have paid for the winter sports cover option and are under the age of 65.

On an annual policy you will have up to 17 consecutive days of winter sports cover if you have paid for the winter sports cover option.

Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

Am I covered for off-piste skiing?

Yes, when accompanied by a local guide in areas that are designated safe by resort management.
Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

Am I covered if my skis/snowboard goes missing in transit?

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, up to the amount outlined in your policy wording.
Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

Am I covered for piste closure, avalanche or landslide and loss or theft of my ski pass?

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, to the amounts outlined in your policy wording.
Now get a quote for Winter Sports Travel Insurance.

  • Spain
  • Canary Islands
  • Turkey
  • Cyprus
  • Malta
  • Switzerland

These countries included

These countries excluded

Cover to suit you

Economy – offers a lower level of cancellation and personal belongings cover.

Standard – up to £3,000 cancellation and £1,500 for personal possessions.

Premier – the highest level of cover we offer. Including up to £5,000 for cancellation, £10 million medical expenses and £2,500 for personal belongings.

Great Value

BigBlueCover has a range of policies to suit all types of holidays - every policy covers a wide range of sporting activities as standard.

Plus... All BigBlue policies include redundancy cover offering you even more peace of mind!

Buy with Confidence

  • 24 hour emergency assistance
  • Redundancy cover included
  • Secure online booking
  • All major credit cards accepted
  • Credit Cards